|Recipes / Asian
Food / Indonesian
* 1 1/4 liters Coconut milk from 2 old coconuts
* 1 Turmeric leaf, torn and knotted
* 5 Kaffir lime leaves
* 1 stalk Lemon grass, bruised
* 1-2 pieces Asam Gelugur
* 10 Red chilies, finely sliced
* 1 kg Beef, fat and sinew removed, cut into 3 cm cubes
* 3 tbsp Chopped galangal
* 1/2 tbsp Chopped turmeric
* 1/2 tbsp Chopped ginger
* 200 g Red chilies
* 4 Shallots
Simmer coconut milk with turmeric leaf, kaffir lime leaves, lemon grass,
asam gelugur, sliced chilies and ground spices until the milk thickens
and becomes oily.
Add beef and cook until tender.
Stir occasionally until the spices dry and turn brown.
Optional: Combine rendang with 300 grams small potatoes.
Soak potatoes in water for 15 minutes then scrub with a soft brush to
clean potato skin. Add to the gravy together with beef. Rendang can
also be combined with 150 grams dried red peanuts (kacang jogo) which
have been soaked for half an hour. Add together with beef.