||Recipes / Asian
Food / Vietnamese
* 1 whole chicken (3lbs or 1 1/4kg)
* 8 cups (2 litres) chicken stock
* 1 cinnamon stick
* 3 scallions
* 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
* 1 1/2 tsp salt
* 1 tsp sugar
* 1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
* 10 oz (300g) dried rice stick noodles (4 1/2 cup cooked noodles)
* 3 cups (240g) fresh beansprouts, blanched
* 2 tbsp fresh cilantro (coriander)
* 1/2 yellow onion, very thinly sliced (optional)
* 3 scallions, sliced into 2 cm pieces for serving
* 1 cup fresh Thai basil leaves
* 1 lime, cut into wedges (optional)
Place chicken and chicken stock in a large stockpot with cinnamon, scallions,
fresh ginger, salt & sugar.
Bring to boil over medium heat.
Reduce heat to low and continue cooking for 1 more hour.
Add fish sauce and set aside.
Meanwhile, to cook the noodles, bring a large pot of water to boil,
put in noodles and cook till tender (8 minutes).
Remove from heat, drain, rinse in cold water, set aside.
Half an hour before serving, remove the chicken from stock and when
it is cool enough to handle, shred meat by hand, set aside.
To serve, place handful of noodles in a large soup bowl.
Top with some beansprouts and shredded chicken.
Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves, onion slices if desired, scallions
Ladle soup and sprinkle with fresh lime juice if desired.
Add more fish sauce to taste.